Sunday, February 5, 2012

Disclaimer

So, that read a little like a disclaimer, didn’t it? 

I’m not usually a fan of the disclaimer.  They tend to come across as pre-emptive apologies, as if the person knows full well they are serving up an undercooked cake.

Well, I’d like to make it abundantly clear:  there is nothing wrong with my cake.  It just takes a long time to bake and tends to be served up in small pieces, for now, anyway.  But the cake itself is absolutely as good as it should be for someone with my flair for cooking and level of baking experience.  Sometimes I even manage a tolerable layer of icing.

So, why even mention it?

Because if I don’t, there is a cake-eating elephant in the room that I’ll have to ignore each time I squeeze past it to my desk.


O Elefante by Murilo Morais @ flickr

Every time I sit down to write, this altered speed of thinking sits down with me.  It’s a large part of my subjective experience of writing right now.  Acknowledging and accepting this unhappy truth allows me to move ahead with and despite it.  And since Destination: denouement is all about Getting Over It. And Getting On With It it’s entirely appropriate to allow myself this freedom in this space.  

Especially because I would hate for any Destination: denouement readers to be injured by a pachyderm.   




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your witty, insightful and encouraging comments welcome!